1.1.08

Goodbye 2007, Hello 2008


73/365 Goodbye 2007
Originally uploaded by xadrian.
I wanted to write a pithy comment about resolutions and ringing in the new and what not, but I don't have the energy or the strength. I'm lucky to just be here, writing, taking pictures, occasionally drawing.

Two thousand seven was easily the worst year of my life. I lost a marriage and a house. A member of Ms. A's family died. We spent the entire year broke and in debt.

Yes I can count my blessings. The kids are healthy aside from the expected coughs and colds but LMA has apparently turned into a bully at school and we're trying to fix that at home, which is stressful. G-man is just cute but we know he needs more little kids to play with.

Just like me, I need more adults to play with. I can count on one hand the times I've gone out with people who weren't my kids. I've been stood up and left to go out alone more times this year than in my entire adult life. It was 365 days of just wanting to come home and go to sleep so I could speed up time until it was all over.

This isn't a pity party, I'm just saying what happened, you do what you want with it.

Yes there were good times. I got to take LMA up to see her grandparents. I went to NY to see an old friend. I reunited with a few other old friends I haven't heard from in a while. I did a lot of drawing and actually got paid for it. I'm still employed and apparently doing a decent job - thought I could be doing better I'm sure.

I won't be making any resolutions because the last thing I need to do to myself is be set up to fail, and that's all resolutions are. You want to lose 20lbs, you want to be more assertive, you want to get a better job. Then when you don't, you look back 365 days later and realize you've let yourself down.

Mark Twain said, "Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual."

I don't plan on paving anything, in fact, I need to spend this time picking myself up, dusting myself off and kicking some ass...somehow. It's not a resolution, I'm just going to do it.

Happy 2008, let's all make it a wonderful year.

Carry on.

No comments: