19.11.04

Life as we know it.

Funny thing. The company I used to work for may go up for sale. Only this time it's not because it's losing money and looking to shore up revenue or because its accounting was less than spectacular.

It's still a rumor, but Rueters is looking to sell Instinet for $2 billion.

That's right. That's a 2 with nine zeros. That's too high for me to even deal with. Of course the day I heard the news on my way into work (because I'm a dork that listens to NPR and the 10 minute Market Place at 6:50) our company's VP gathers everyone together to go over our previously thought to be worthless stock options.

Which leads me to my entry.

I have a disease. I don't know what to call it. I have great organizational skills. I even look forward to large projects that have multiple participants and lots of scheduling and assigning of tasks. The problem? I'm only really good at it when it has nothing to do with real life.

I'm a moderator on a pretty popular comic book message board. It's not Marvel, it's not Dark Horse, it's not even a real company that makes money doing something. It's just a place where comic book creators and talent come together to hang out, network and show off a little. I moderate a forum that deals with "art jams." Those are 5 page stories where each page is done by a different artist, different inker, colorist, etc. It's a lot of work keeping track of who is doing what and when deadlines are.

And I love it.

There's a new idea coming up about how PJ should have Awards, like the Oscars, or more relevant, the The Eisners. (No, not that Eisner.) So while I'm not really sure about this, because it sounds more like a popularity contest, I do drop my hat into the ring on the organizational side by just being a freak and running at the mouth about what committees need to be formed for nominees and submitting rules and categories...

Meanwhile, I have to roll over my 401k into an IRA. I have to decide which health insurance to sign up for. I have to figure out some other adminstrativa that has to do with that hory host that is real life. And yet I have no desire to do so. Yes I'm even a bit quesy thinking about having to call people on the phone and talk to them. I don't want to feel like an idiot.

On top of it all, I have to do my job.

So with Mrs. Austin wanting to start a business, my first thought is, "Oh god, don't ask me to do anything buy make your ads." Our office is a whirling dirvish of papers and comics and photos and computer parts and cameras and trash and CDs. We have all our financials in a filing cabinet, but that's the extent of the organization. Sometimes I get a hair up my butt and really make an effort to organize all our bills, set up online things, create a system and a budget that works so well we would put nary a thought into the process.

Then I give up and log onto Penciljack and mess around.

So, do I qualify for disability somehow?






I'd like to thank the Academy...

No comments: