31.7.07

$3000 Int'l iPhone Bill, Yay Technology.

Let's hear it for technology and free enterprise! The ability to charge the average schmo out the nose for being on the cutting edge of innovation if they don't pay attention.

Seen on Boing Boing.

As we know, the iPhone can't be unlocked to use a European provider's SIM card for more reasonable rates while traveling. There's part two of the trap.

To be safe, I went online to My Account at AT&T a couple days into the trip and again a week later and was told "usage data is currently unavailable"... and that's part three. I had no way of knowing specific usage data until I received my bill over the last weekend.

A bill for $3000.

I don't plan on going overseas any time soon, but this makes me want to leave my phone at home and make long distance calls. Might be cheaper.

No comments: