19.3.08

RIP Sir Clarke


(CNN) -- Author Arthur C. Clarke, whose science fiction and non-fiction works ranged from the script for "2001: A Space Odyssey" to an early proposal for communications satellites, has died at age 90...
Other than 2001, 2010 and 2061, the only other book of his I read was The Songs of a Distant Earth and I can't really tell you what that was about. I remember it being a bit boring, but I was a kid and what do kids know of good science fiction. Rama as well as a host of other Clarke stories are on my mental "classics" lists of books to read before I die.

Clarke was considered part of the Big Three in science fiction. Heinlein and Asimov making the other two. Most will argue that Bradbury and Herbert and Vonnegut should be in there as well, but I think the first group were from a much earlier time and sensibility. They brought a bit of pulp and wonder into the genre where as the later group were more about spirituality and conflicts of philosophy.

Whatever way you debate it, the world has lost a great mind and a great visionary.

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

No comments: